This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.

About Us News

The Establishment of Villa Maria Academy  The Great Depression was here. Falls Church was not spared as the shadow of the Depression fell across the country. Debts m...

Learn about the very first wedding at St. James Catholic Church, and whom is in charge of weddings at our parish today.

June 18 - The Rectory

June 16, 2017

Learn about the history of our rectory!

Learn More About Our Stained Glass Windows

Anniversary June 4th

June 2, 2017

This Week: Our Stained Glass Windows, Part I To sit in St. James church is to be surrounded by the Communion of Saints.  There are the people sharing the pews of course ...

During the postwar boom, our community outgrew the original 1905 building.

Fr. Posey's column in honor of our 125th Anniversary

Our Kindergarten began in 1949, five years after Mrs. Clarke began first grade!

On May 1, 1949, the Sister, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary celebrated their silver jubilee of service at St. James.

Building new school buildings and offering a quality education

A population boom led to more students and new buildings

The war brought a boom in enrollment... and a new school building.

Our fourth pastor was an Irish priest who shepherded us through the Depression and World War II.

The Establishment of Villa Maria Academy

1923 - The IHMs Arrive

March 10, 2017

Six IHM sisters arrived in 1923 to run the school, which had grown to 92 students.

Our third pastor was a missionary from Belgium.

It was Holy Week of 1906 and in keeping with their order’s Rule, adoration of the Blessed Sacrament began the next day.

Our school opens on the corner of Broad and Spring Streets.

Mrs. Thomas J. Ryan donated the funds to build our church, and the Washington Post covered the dedication

Read the article from the Washington Post about laying the cornerstone of St. James on May 5, 1902

1902 The Stone Church

February 7, 2017

Father Tearney and the people build a new church

Meet Our First Pastors - Fathers Tearney and Bowler

From 1874 to 1892, the Mission at St. James was served by St. Mary’s Catholic Parish in Alexandria.

These angels were in our first church building... and remain in Falls Church!

The white clapboard church with a 66 foot bell tower would be at home in any New England town. But this one was in a small southern village, recovering from war...