The Most Reverend Peter L. Ireton, Bishop of Richmond, conducted the Dedication Ceremony of the new St. James School on October 10, 1948. The dedication address was made by Msgr. Edward B. Jordan, Vice Rector of Catholic University. The cornerstone marks the dates of both the original 1905 school building and the new school blessed in 1948. The cost of the new building was $250,000. The school opened with an enrollment of 500 students. However, between the time of the construction of the first two classrooms in 1944 and the dedication of the new school in 1948, it was obvious that the facility was still too small to accommodate the growing Catholic population. Once again Father Mullarkey looked towards expansion. However, these years of material expansion did not distract Father Mullarkey and the IHM Sisters from their intense interest in the quality of the children’s education.
The year 1949 was a milestone year in several respects: a Kindergarten was established in the little white house formerly occupied by Villa Maria Academy; the first lay teacher was hired; the CYO was established; and in May the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary celebrated their Silver Jubilee of teaching at St. James Parish.
Left: Most Reverend Peter L. Ireton, Bishop of Richmond, conducts the Blessing and Dedication Ceremony inside new St. James School. Father Mullarkey stands behind.
Right: Bishop Ireton wields the trowel as he lays the cornerstone.
Pictured with Father Mullarkey.